Tuesday, February 27, 2018

INTENTIONALLY MISSED FREE THROW

As a long-time basketball player, and a pretty good free-throw shooter if I must say so myself 😌 this story warmed the cockles of my heart.  As reported by CBS Sports News:


Iowa guard Jordan Bohannon had an opportunity to break the program's all-time record for most consecutive free throws made in the Hawkeyes' game on Sunday against Northwestern, but the sophomore guard intentionally missed to honor the previous record holder, Chris Street, who died in a car accident at age 20 in 1993.

Bohannon tied Street's record with 34 but on attempt 35, he purposely left it short.

"It's been in my mind for a while," Bohannon told the Des Moines Register. "I knew I wanted to leave it short a little bit. I didn't want to make it too obvious."

Street, like Bohannon, was from Iowa and attended Iowa. He was killed in a car accident on Jan. 19, 1993 -- three days after he played his final game, where he made both free throw attempts.

"I think it's awesome," said his coach, Fran McCaffery. "He's an Iowa kid, you have another Iowa kid that ties the record ... I didn't know he was going to do that. He points to the sky after he missed it, says a lot about him."

Iowa would hang on to win the game over Northwestern, 77-70.


Go here for a more detailed account that includes videos of the miss.




And here is the Washington Post's coverage.

2 comments:

Dick C. said...

When I missed free throws, I told the coach that I was not so full of pride that I wanted to embarrass the other players on the team by showing them up.

Douglas E said...

Dick C - man, I wish I had thought of that back in the day!!!