Wednesday, October 05, 2016

YES ON COLORADO PROPOSITION 106

https://www.dwdv.org.au/sb_cache/aboutus/id/78/f/Tanberg%20cartoon.jpg

I am fully supportive a person's right to choose when and how to die when faced with a terminal illness or severely debilitating condition. Thus, I urge any of you Colorado folks to read the proposition and give it your support.

Shall there be a change to the Colorado revised statutes to permit any mentally capable adult Colorado resident who has a medical prognosis of death by terminal illness within six months to receive a prescription from a willing licensed physician for medication that can be self-administered to bring about death; and in connection therewith, requiring two licensed physicians to confirm the medical prognosis, that the terminally-ill patient has received information about other care and treatment options, and that the patient is making a voluntary and informed decision in requesting the medication; requiring evaluation by a licensed mental health professional if either physician believes the patient may not be mentally capable; granting immunity from civil and criminal liability and professional discipline to any person who in good faith assists in providing access to or is present when a patient self-administers the medication; and establishing criminal penalties for persons who knowingly violate statutes relating to the request for the medication?
Read more here.

8 comments:

Bizzy Brain said...

If the doctor told me I had six months to live, I would move to New Paris.

Douglas E said...

And those 6 months would seem like 6 years, eh? :-)

Bizzy Brain said...

You guessed her, Chester.

Douglas E said...

More seriously, what would you do if you have 6 months of decent health before kicking the bucket? I think that I would look up good friends and travel to see them. Also hit a few things in the US that I would like to see, the aurora for example.

Rick O'Shea said...

I would become a hit man.

Dil Doe said...

So in the Bible there is this King named Saul, and he gets wounded in battle and asks for someone to finish him off and no one does, so he falls on his own sword. So I had this friend in Colorado who got very sick and was terminally ill and he asked me to finish him off, but, unlike the Saul situation, I did finish him off with one pistol shot. When the cops came and asked me what happened I said, "Nothing to see here, officer. My friend asked me to kill him, so I shot him dead. No problem with that, is there officer? With Proposition 106 and all?"
"You're under arrest you stupid shit!"

Bizzy Brain said...

Good question. Would do the visiting and the saying of good-byes to old friends. Would write my personal history, as my kids have nagged me to do. Maybe set foot on Pitcairn Island if it didn't use up too much of the 6 months getting there and back. Would give my testimony more often. Would spend the vast majority of the time with family.

Douglas E said...

Bizzy - quite reasonable; you could write your personal history now and put it on your blog!!