Monday, February 08, 2016

STEIN ERIKSEN 1927-2015

http://www.steinlodge.com/d/steinlodge/images/contentBlock_201.jpg?1372340370

http://ywsa.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/321-2106_IMG.jpg

A few of you out there might know who Stein Eriksen was, and for those of you who do not, you can read about his legacy in these links:
  Legacy, 
Obituary

Stein was a legendary alpine skier and considered the founder of modern day downhill skiing.  I write now because his passing reminded me of the first pair of skis that I bought in Colorado, probably around 1970.  We were coming back from a day of skiing and at the rental shop place, there were a pair of Stein Eriksen skis on sale.  They were marked down considerably and I thought, hmmm, pretty good deal.  I was a bit naive because the skis were 220 cm long [87 inches] - which by today's standards is way too long!  My last pair of skis were 165 cm [65 inches].  But, I bought some bindings and boots to go along with the Eriksens and used them for several years.  The skis were yellow and my boots were blue, so I was perhaps ahead of the times with the bright colors.  Here is the best picture I could find of the Stein Eriksen L-21 skis:

 http://www.summitdaily.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=QwxbHtihSmMrbzsZDmxXO8$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYvokXQzp30Yfi_wb63XUNRyWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_CryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg


4 comments:

Tomato Addict said...

I still ski on 210's, on those fleeting occasions when my schedule and snow in Wisconsin coincide. :-)
O
\\>
\\
\\

Did you once tell me you used to teach at Biola? If so, I wonder if you might have any insight into their publication standards back in 1995?

DES said...

TA - 210's eh? I'm impressed! Nope - not Bioloa, Pepperdine, so cannot comment.

Tomato Addict said...

Stupid Brain Rot, now it's going to bug me until I figure out who that was ...

DES said...

Know exactly what you mean TA; now start going through the alphabet......