Wednesday, October 24, 2012

THE BELVEDERE

I set aside an entire post on the Belvedere - Vienna because it is probably my favorite among the many places we visited on our Educational Field Trip.  Do spend some time at the links given because I cannot begin to cover all of the great art housed at the Belvedere.  First, as you can see, it is a magnificent building, with two baroque palaces and lovely gardens. 
As we entered the grand foyer, there was a wedding couple being photographed at the top of these stairs - turns out that the Belvedere is open for wedding celebrations.  Pretty special place I would say!
Ceremonial room in the Belvedere

There are so many wonderful pieces of art at the Belvedere that it is nearly impossible to do justice to the collection - so I will simply post a few items that are among the hundreds by artists such as Klimt, Shiele, and others of the Viennese Secession, Schindler, Monet, Manet, Renoir, and Messerschmidt to name just a few, and the collections from the medieval to contemporary.  Again visit this link to get the feeling for the entirety of the collections.  So we will begin with possibly the most recognizable painting, The Kiss by Klimt.



The Belvedere collection of Gustav Klimt's work is the largest and demonstrates the breadth of his styles, going far beyond the style of The Kiss, Judith and Judith II -Salome.  Klimt's work can be seen at this Artsy site and at the  Virtual Klimt Museum.


Allee im Park von Schloss Kammer 1912


Lebensbaum II


The works of Egon Shiele are also very fascinating, and here are three of his paintings. {they seem to have disappeared}

Verleger Eduard Kosmack
Verleger Eduard Kosmack - 1910

Sonnenblumen I

Sonnenblumen I - 1911
Tod und Mädchen


Tod und Mädchen - 1915
Zweiter Schnabelkopf
Ein absichtlicher Schalksnarr
Here is Napoleon am Großen St. Bernhard by Jacques-Louis David - 1801
Napoleon am Großen St. Bernhard
And to close, a Vincent van Gogh - Ebene von Auvers - 1890
If you travel to Vienna, do not miss the Belvedere.

15 comments:

Jusk Askin' said...

Excellent travelogues you've been posting, but with class attendance, homework, and extensive field trips, do the students have any time left for sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll?

DES said...

Just A - you know students, they do without sleep so that they can do it all!! More seriously, these are pretty good kids, and so the s, d [except beer] and r&r are pretty low on the list of things to do.

Just Askin' said...

Lol! Good response! I previously met a couple of your student groups and they are indeed an impressive bunch. Guess I was having a flashback to the way things were way back when (for some anyway). In the 50's it was "wine, women, and song." In the 60's that was vulgarized to "sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll," NOT in that order. Personal observation is those heavily invested in s, d, and r&r rarely made it to their junior year, thus wouldn’t be part of any junior year abroad programs

Bizzy Brain said...

Wow! Sounds like "Educational Field Trips" are what I used to call "vacation." Lol!

Dr S said...

Ha, Bizzy - right on! But we did do many 'educational' activities, and they actually had to write some papers about the trip - so almost vacation!

-j- said...

Nice post. Did you TAKE those pictures of the paintings? If so, you're a good art photographer!

Dr S said...

Alas, I did not; for these types of posts, I usually search for pictures from archives or public sites so as not to tread on copyright issues.

Bizzy Brain said...

Would that I had taken more educational field trips while on vacation. I remember sitting in a bar in Sydney, on R&R, drinking Toohey's Pilsner beer while a lady friend was on her way to meet me there. I could have been doing this anywhere in the world. Years later I chuckled about all the sightseeing I missed due to not spending my time wisely and missing the opportunities of a lifetime to do such things as tour the Sydney Opera House, etc. I do have fond memories, but of a different sort.

hoosierdaddy said...

Well Bizzy, back in those days, the Opera House and such were very low on the list compared to sitting in a bar with a young lady!

Bizzy Brain said...

I believe my uncle Arch took the tour so maybe he can tell me all about it.

Dr S said...

Interesting about Archie. Did he go with cousin Mark? I know Mark has been this way many times.

Bizzy Brain said...

Dr S, I believe Archie was on a tour of some sort, and am thinking it was with Ida.

Misses Nothing said...

Just as Coors is not spelled with an apostrophe, Tooheys is not spelled with an apostrophe either.

Misses Nothing said...

Just as Coors is not spelled with an apostrophe, Tooheys is not spelled with an apostrophe either.

Misses Nothing said...

Do not know how it happened that my comment got entered twice.