Wednesday, June 13, 2012

SETTING GOALS

No, this is not some transformational, life-coach-inspired self-actualization, but rather a generally less than serious preparation for a 5K walk/shuffle/jog/run.  In a moment of weakness, I registered for the Evart, Michigan, Fourth of July 5K Race, and as I generally do before such events, I set some goals:

1.  Finish the race
2.  Start and finish on the same day
3.  Start and finish within the same hour
4.  This is pushing it, but start and finish within the same half hour
5.  Finish ahead of all 200 pound women
6.  Finish ahead of all 250 pound men
7.  Finish among the top 5% of women in my age group
8.  Finish among the top 20% of men in my age group
9.  Finish among the top 50% of all runners
10.  Conserve energy for the post-race beer drinking

Also, in the spirit of a dictum of race director Ken Willems, I hope to drop a couple pounds before race day because "The lighter you are, the faster you go."

Happy Trails


13 comments:

Ken Willems said...

All worthy goals!

Dr S said...

Thanks Ken - I was hopeful that you would approve :-)

Bizzy Brain said...

There wuz a time when I could do No. 4 in combat boots.

Dr S said...

Yes indeed Bizzy - 'when I was young' I could do it in under 19 - but we ain't young no more!

Bizzy Brain said...

I must be forever young in a way. People keep telling me, "You need to grow up."

S3 said...

Will have to add Evart, Michigan to the list of places to spend time if the doctor tells me I have only six more months to live.

DES said...

Bizzy - me too!

Triple S - Evart is indeed an interesting little central Michigan town - probably couldn't be much more mid-America, and there are even some Amish that have established a community not too far out of town.

S3 said...

If Evart is interesting, would have to count it out. Six months to live means living in a place where each day seems like an eternity.

Dr S said...

Sorry Triple S - I totally missed your point! Good one.

Also race director KenBob is truly awesome - he has informed me that the entire course in downhill, the wind will always be at our backs, and there will always be a women with a nice a** leading the way!

Dr S said...

Forgot to add what I really want from race director KenBob - a guarantee that the temp will be <80 degrees at race time - I cannot stand running in hot weather!!!!

S3 said...

LMAO over the nice lady "leading the way."

Dr S said...

1. Finish the race - check
2. Start and finish on the same day - check
3. Start and finish within the same hour- check
4. This is pushing it, but start and finish within the same half hour - check
5. Finish ahead of all 200 pound women - check
6. Finish ahead of all 250 pound men - check
7. Finish among the top 5% of women in my age group - check [would have won ;-]
8. Finish among the top 20% of men in my age group - nope - only three of us I believe and I was second
9. Finish among the top 50% of all runners - nope ~tip 60%, or bottom 40%
10. Conserve energy for the post-race beer drinking

Dr S said...

Forgot to add the obvious 'check' for number 10!!!