Tuesday, June 28, 2011

RAITT AT PEPPERDINE

 

A bit of background for this music video - the Raitt Music Hall at Pepperdine University  is named in  honor of John Raitt, highly acclaimed actor and singer, particularly in musical theater such as Oklahoma!, Carousel, etc.  John is the father of Bonnie.

A short time before John passed away in 2005, Bonnie performed a free concert in Smothers Theater at Pepperdine.  The first session featured Bonnie, a bass player and a percussionist - spectacular.  As many of you know, Bonnie is an excellent guitar player as well as singer and song writer.  The second session was focused on John - he sang a few tunes and Bonnie joined him for a few duets.  He sat in a big chair, and occasionally lost the lyrics, but it was a memorable event, especially since it was so close to the time of John's passing.

Here is a favorite that has special significance - Anna Montgomery sang this Randy Newman song, accompanied by Ken Willems and yours truly, at our daughter Rachel's wedding to Jonathan Moyer.


Something in your eyes, makes me want to lose myself,
Makes me want to lose myself, in your arms.
There's something in your voice, makes my heart beat fast.
Hope this feeling lasts, the rest of my life.
If you knew how lonely my life has been,
And how low I've felt so long.
If you knew how I wanted someone to come along,
And change my world the way you've done.

Feels like home to me, feels like home to me,
Feels like I'm on my way back where I come from.
Feels like home to me, feels like home to me,
Feels like I'm on my way back where I belong.

A window breaks down a long dark street,
And a siren wails over my head.
But I'm all right, 'cause I have you here with me.
And I can almost see through the dark there's light.
{omitted in this video and at the wedding}

If you knew how much this moment means to me,
And how long I've waited for your touch.
If you knew how happy you are making me --
I've never thought I'd love anyone so much.

Feels like home to me, feels like home to me,
Feels like I'm on my way back where I come from.
Feels like home to me, feels like home to me,
Feels like I'm on my way back where I belong.

Here is a studio version:

 

2 comments:

Steve Heller said...

Speaking of John Raitt losing lyrics while performing, the same thing happened to Glen Campbell a few weeks ago in Indy. People thought he might have been drunk or on drugs. Then it came out later that he has Alzheimer's.

Charlie Rich used to do the same thing, but he was a good old fashioned country star with a good old fashioned country star reason - he was drunk.

DES said...

Steve - a few years back, Glen Campbell had a freshman at Pepperdine and he attended the student reception at the President's house. He was milling about waiting to sing Johnny Be Good with the President's band, so I went over and struck up a conversation. He was quite congenial without any overt signs of Alzheimer's - unfortunate turn of events for him.